Tonight was the monthly SASCA (San Antonio Sports Car Association) meeting at a local pizza place. I attended, introduced myself & enjoyed the company of my “home” autocross-plus enthusiasts club. I went for a couple of reasons.
These (& more) are the reasons YOU should seek out your local motorsports enthusiasts club:
– you get to put faces with names of people you may have already seen posting on a local forum or some other club e-mail
– they get to see you & that you are interested in their club
– you learn better about what the club does and why (some of their inner workings)
– if you are interested, you’ll be the first available to volunteer for some possibly special future autocross/race/car show or other regional motorsports events
– you’ll get to “bench race” with the locals who may have a car like yours
– you can listen in (or participate in) freely offered advice about how to modify a specific performance aspect of a fellow competitor’s car
– you might find a mentor who will take you under their wing
– and other benefits…
In introducing myself, I brought some materials from when I was a SASCA member over 15 years ago. I had more than a year’s worth of their old newsletter from then, called Tale Lites. I offered them to Ed, who is a Chair within SASCA (apparently, being the unofficial historian is one of the many hats he wears). It looks like I may have tentatively volunteered to help in some areas, as yet decided – we’ll see.
It was interesting to find out how much they work & cooperate together with the Austin, TX club (SPOKES). They were very aware of their upcoming (8/10/2008) “Divisional In A Day” autocross event put on by SPOKES. The next monthly SASCA autocross will be the following Sunday (8/17/2008).
A couple of teasers…
The Chairpeople & the B.O.D. (SASCA Board of Directors) are tentatively discussing a High Performance Driving Event to take place this Fall. This event may include a Novice School, or maybe it will be a separate event. I’m not yet sure, but as soon as I find out concrete details you WILL hear about it HERE. I’m doing this because I want the scoop & I want both YOU & I to become Racing Ready!