At the 2010 SASCA Autocross #9 (on 26-SEP-2010), I saw a vintage 1973 SAAB Sonett III. This car was not parking on site as a poser, but as a willing participant to be flogged & enjoyed by its owner, Chuck.
- It’s actually compilation of parts from SAAB Sonetts of 1971, 1972 & 1973.
- Also. this vintage SAAB has a vintage SCCA “package”, from a 1983 combination of suspension parts that was popular at the time.
- The car is clean & pretty stock, as shown by the cockpit interior.
- Chuck loves his car & calls it a “Franken-SAAB” – it even has stitches on a front fender!
- This is Chuck’s first time competing at autocross. He said he’s never worn a helmet in this car – just bought one day prior to this event!
- Bottom line – Chuck had fun & that’s the point of autocross for most of us…
Racing Ready continues to enjoy seeing older vehicles being put through their still competitive paces.